Having worked in publishing, advertising sales, promotional marketing and gifting always in sales roles I consider myself to be a sales person first and foremost.
By default (I arrived first) I became a half decent soap and toiletries sales person and during the process of building my company Pacific Direct is learned a wide range of skills including brand and product licensing, I learned about toiletries and cosmetics products, I owned my own plastics manufacturing business and I had sales people in 9 countries delivering goods to 110 so I know a lot about export and these challenges.
I do not actively search new investments but when someone approaches me I am certain of the process I undertake to ensure the best possible chance of success by isolating common denominators shared by any business. I do intend entirely to focus within sectors I know a bit about as I think investors should significantly add value through their network, introductions and to providing good business sense.
I read recently “There’s a usual checklist of fundamentals that never change. Have the people at the top of the business got good backgrounds? Are they making the right decisions? Do they employ the right people?” In an very early stage investment with unproven but fledgling potential it is all about the leadership.
Any due diligence process that might start begins with a phone call with Lara should you have piqued her interest.
I invest in a business where I believe in the product and the person driving it forward. I am interested in developing the confidence of the individuals leading, of helping advice with systems and process foundations and I invest where I can see significant growth potential – always taking a global perspective. I actively look to invest in businesses that meet the following criteria:
- Financial capital requirement of between £50,000 and £1,000,000;
- Strong management team but with intellectual capital requirement for additional experience and expertise at Board level;
- Profit before interest and tax clearly on the horizon
- Robust, defensible business model with high margins; and
- Complementary needs in the business growth platform or complementary promotional opportunities help
EXIT when it is right for you.
Companies in which I play a part are:
- Functional Fragrances Special projects including:-
- ACTIVBOD – Active Bodycare
- Scentered – Portable Aromatherapy Balms
- GATE8 – Cabin-Approved Luggage
- Global Amenities Direct – A creative agency specially focusing on Hotel provision
- KITBRIX – The Sports organizer bag
If you are an owner that is looking for investment and meet these criteria, please have them contact me directly.